Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nigerian fraudsters




Things that annoy me:
Nigerian fraudsters.

I lost my Blackberry while in the US taking the bar (oh dear blog, how long it has been since I have written in you!). I bought one at the store because I felt terrible for losing it, but upon return my boss informed me she would just buy a new one, so I'm up one Blackberry (and down a few hundred bucks). I put it for sale on Craigslist to try to recoup the cost, and have gotten some wonderful responses.

Things I have learned:
Nigerians say "make research", much like Turks.
"my son is in west africa making a research his birthday is coming up
soon and i want it to be shipped down to him
his name is Ekpunobi Fortune and his address is no 13 Egbonnaji
street achara layout,Enugu.Enugu state,Nigeria.and also please send me
your paypal account so i can make the payment as soon as possible"

An astounding number of members of the global commuity have sons/nephews working off the "West Coast" of Africa.

It is easy to fool Nigerian fraudsters into giving you their address and getting their hopes really high up.

Me: Yes Inquirer I do Still have This Item for Sale. Which Item was It that You wanted. Also I prefer Pay by Paypal if That works For you? (note the not so subtle sarcasm at their referencing me "seller", the phone as an "item" and, when I reply "which item", responding: "i mean the item you want to sell." That came from Janet Brown, who helpfully provided her address:
Name: janet brown
Address: Alpha photos building, apata
City: Ibadan
State: Oyo
Zip code: 23402
Country: Nigeria
Phone#: +2347037893102
so i will be waiting to hear from u

~

Sadly, when I informed Janet Brown that I also wanted a notarized copy of her passport before shipping, she stopped responding.)

And finally, there was the offer I received today, which was just spiteful (email chain below). As a note, it's generally not a good bargaining tactic to offer 100 euro and then agree to 1000 euro - totally not the sign of a scam at all!

~

it is ok by me i just want to get it for my cousine and the adress is

Felix Odiatu
D'Rovans Hotel Ring Road,
Ibadan,Oyo-State,23402
Nigeria.
Tel:2348070769699



--- On Wed, 3/10/10, I wrote:


From: Me
Subject: Re: Brand New Blackberry Curve 8900 - TRL700 (Taksim)
To: "Caco Collinz"
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 3:04 PM
- Hide quoted text -


What your cousine adress is wonders I is? Also 1000 Euro I want phone for you to have, ok? is? D o y o u t h i n k t h a t i s o k i w o n d e r ? ? ? : o )
What Pya a pal for? I want pay you me not your pay friend a.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Caco Collinz wrote:

Th
From: Me
Subject: Re: Brand New Blackberry Curve 8900 - TRL700 (Taksim)
To: "Caco Collinz"
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 2:53 PM

Thanks for the mail i said that i what i ant to offer you including shipping and handling abroad to my cousine scholling in Nigeria .
so get back to me with your paypal.email.so i can remmit the fund

are you joking? do you have any idea what the exchange rate is or did you just puke out a number you thought would be close? i said "FIRM PRICE" and you offered 100 euro?? good luck in life bro.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Caco Collinz wrote:

ok i will give you 100 euro because i di deal with euro and i want you to send me your paypal email so i can proceed with the payment or if you don't have one you can register at www.paypal.com , immidiatelly you sign up just send me you email for paymenr
Looking to read fro you soon
Collinz

--- On Wed, 3/10/10, I wrote:


From: Me
Subject: Re: Brand New Blackberry Curve 8900 - TRL700 (Taksim)
To: "Caco Collinz"
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 2:36 PM

It is for sale and the price is final.

4 comments:

  1. Are you looking for some great budget travel destinations? Check out our list of 10 places where you can have a great time without spending a lot of money. We've got suggestions for affordable activities in each location, so you can make the most of your trip. Read more here.

    10 Budget Travel Destinations with Affordable Activities

    ReplyDelete